Do I give in and...

on Monday, December 1, 2008

buy our first pre-lit, FAKE Christmas tree? I think we are the last members of our family to still get a real tree every year. Chad thinks we should go fake and lots of people have said that they love the no hassle with theirs, but I am having the hardest time accepting that I might never have that lovely smell in my home for the next 10-15 years. My son will grow up without knowing the joys of picking out the perfect tree, the smell of pine needles in the living room while he opens presents or even watching Daddy put lights on the tree. 

I know all the perks and believe me, I would not miss watering the tree to keep it fresh and vacuuming up stray needles, but I think those things outweigh the loss of memories.  
So, fake or no? I'm just not convinced I can bring myself to do it.
This is our sweet little tree from last year.

5 comments:

Kelly Moreton said...

definitely real! it is a pain. mine fell over this year while i was trying to put it up, but it's so worth it!

Anonymous said...

DON'T DO IT! No way! Real girl. Somethings are nicer fake but not a christmas tree. You have to keep those memories and the smell. Don't do it friend. H

Anonymous said...

First, I should confess that there was a brief interlude when Mike and I were kidless that we did the fake tree for a couple of years. But once the kids came, we just couldn't do it. I am addicted to real. I know there are some pretty convincing candles out there and all, but the fresh scent, oh my! And the quest for the perfect tree... And having to search for the right branch to hold up that one ornament that weighs like 5 pounds. As for the needles, if you vacuum them, the scent is distributed nicely all over your house. (Rare housekeeping advice from yours truly) :~)

With that said, there is no way you can wreck Christmas this year. Elijah will see to that. The fun is just beginning. Every year will be better than the last. SO excited for you.

Anonymous said...

None of you guys are helping my case...

Chicks stick together. Geeez.

Izabella Italia said...

Real! Some friends gave me a fake tree last year (sweet gesture, sweet gift, FREE!), and it was a miserable, disappointing debacle of a Charlie Brown tree. They had loved it for years...thought it was the cutest thing. I thought it was hideous. You can see it on display this year at a different friends' house. :) Re-gifting IS rewarding!